Creating engaging and effective video content starts with process. From visualizing a video concept to the final editing revisions there are important steps along the way that ensure a quality end product. With so much competition for eyes, most marketers are looking to multimedia content to help stand out in the crowd. In this article, I will introduce the idea of having set video processes for each type of video content that you will be creating for any given marketing campaign. As you will see in the process breakdowns there are some differences as well as many similarities from video type to video type when it comes to process.
Video Creation Process
Below you will see a breakdown of what process we follow from conceptualization to completion.
Step 1) Video Strategy Call/Meeting
- A video strategy call or meeting is important as important as writing the script. This meeting is where the idea comes to life. Creative ideas are thrown around and direction for the script will be discussed as well. The main goal of this meeting is to have a clear direction and set up next steps in order to move to the next phase towards developing your premium video content.
Step 2) Create & Finalize Script
- Since you had a successful meeting regarding your video strategy and direction your script comes next. Starting from an approved script outline will help to create some efficiency in this step. Building a script from a creative brief or script outline is a much easier task than writing it from scratch.
Step 3) Build Storyboard
- Now it's time to bring your idea to life. This is the first part of creating the visuals for your video. whether it's a live shoot video, a whiteboarding explainer video, or a 2D animation explainer video, a storyboard is an essential next step. it is particularly helpful when you are working with a client. It allows you to set expectations of what the end product should look like from the beginning of the process.
Step 4) Capture Footage/Record Voiceover
- This step is pretty straightforward but is definitely not easy. Lights, camera, action, is the age-old monicker for this. Make sure you have your framing, your audio recording is ready to go, and you have your script or questions prepared. All that is left is to call 'action'.
Step 5) Review and Sync Footage
- This is the first step in the editing process. It is important that you review your footage to ensure quality video and audio recording before moving on to the next step.
- You will have separate files for video and audio and will need to sync them in your timeline after uploading in order to make your editing time more efficient.
Step 6) Production
- Now that your footage in synched, you can go directly into your editing step. Most editors have their own steps and own style of getting through this step. None of which are wrong but some are more efficient than others.
Step 7) Internal Review
- Thi step is all about ensuring accuracy and mistake-free work before sending a draft to the client for review. Use your team internally to check your work and look for any mistakes big or small.
- Once any edits have been identified, you can rework the video before sending it to your client.
Step 8) Client Review
- There are many different video marketing platforms that you can use to host your video content which is also a good way to share your video with your client. Simply upload your content and set it to private or unlisted and send the share link to your client via email. they will be able to send back revisions notes from this.
- There is an easier way to do this. We use Frame.io to store edit flies and share drafts will client. Your client will be able to submit revision notes directly in this platform and the notes will be marked on the timeline in the video where the edit needs to be made or is referring to. This eliminates the inundation of emailing back and forth and can make your editing process easier on the back end.
Step 9) Send Asset & Upload to Determined Channel
- Once you have approval from your client, the next step is to upload the finalized video to their video hosting platform of choice (I.E. Wisita, YouTube, Vimeo, 23.) You will then create a title and descriptions for the video for sharing and the upload is complete.
- You will also need to share the final edited video with them. We like to use WeTransfer.com to send these files. It is easy to use and takes no time. Simply input your email, your recipient's email, and attach the video file. Your video will be transferred immediately.
Share this Infographic on Your Site
How It Improves Your Video Marketing
You must understand the importance of following strategy and best practices to yield the best results from video marketing content. If you don't follow your process, you are bound to hurt the end result and will ultimately not find as much success with the video project.
You may be asking yourself how this process can affect your video marketing analytics. Simply put, you have to look at velocity and efficiency. The more streamlined your process is the quicker you can produce content. This affects how many videos you can put out while keeping quality and accuracy in mind. At the end of the day quality, video marketing metrics comes from producing and publishing a lot of content on a wide variety of topics relating to your business. Long story short the more videos your publish the better your metrics will look.
If you would like to learn more about video marketing strategy and video creation process, book a consultation with one of our multimedia specialists today.