What is an SEO Audit?
An SEO site audit is a vital part of owning a business. These audits will allow you to understand all parts of your website and identify any aspects of your SEO services that you may be falling short on.
These site audits include an interpretation of your on-site and off-site optimization, as well as local results. The on-site part of the audit will go into text and content on your web pages, as well as code and Meta information to insure your site is optimized correctly for search. In addition, an audit will allow you to know if your visitors will be happy with their experience.
An audit will also dig into your off-site optimization such as rankings, your link profile and, if applicable, your local results. You will understand what you are ranking well for, what you need to focus on, and what keywords you might be missing out on.
Why is it important?
There are many reasons as to why a site audit is important. It can vary based on whether you have a new site or an existing website. Here are the benefits:
For New Websites
- Understand what it will take to compete in your market
- Understand market opportunities you may have
- Make sure your plan for your website is complete
- Understand the importance of a blog and good content for your market (“companies that blog get 55% more web traffic” Brandon Gaille)
- Find out the best social media channels to focus on for your market
- You can understand how to address online reputation management
For Existing Sites:
- Find out the health status of your online presence
- Make sure your site is optimized at the code level
- Make sure your site is optimized at a content level
- Learn the status of your link profile, including your toxic links
- Learn what inbound links may be necessary for success
- Find more keywords to focus on that are relevant to your market
- Understand how you can improve site visitor leads
- Work on the social media presence (“67% of users use social media – Brandon Gaille)
- Better understand your reputation management and where to improve
One thing that people might not know about SEO site audits is that is important to get them regularly. There are many reasons for this. One reason is because SEO practices are always changing and you want to make sure your site is optimized correctly and up to the standards of the search engines. Two, it is important to make sure your site is ranking well and to see where you are falling short. Lastly, you will have a competitive advantage in your market if you know how to improve your website to increase visitor leads and sales conversions.